Saturday 21 November 2015

Our world needs our prayers









Our World requires our prayers.

On 13th of November there was a mutual feeling of disgust, frustration, anger, intolerance, grief, pain, consolation and prayers for the terror attack in Paris. 

Unfortunately, this was an addition to other such catastrophes happening across the entire world; the most recent hostage situation in Mali, refugee children drowning to death, women being raped, inflation, corruption and the list never ends. 

Everyone is asking one common question: What-is-the-world-becoming-into? 

I turned to God and asked him, “what should I do that can possibly make a difference?’ 

The Lord replied, “Pray!” 

Quite often our idea of the least-we-can-do turns out to be the most-we-can-do!

It took two incidents to change my entire outlook towards perceiving problems. 

The first one took place during my recent stay at Evergreen Villa. (Maiden home)

One morning, over breakfast; Mom was angry on the maid who took off unexpectedly and I was cursing the poor internet service. (Not so welcoming topics to begin a day) 

Big brother was silent, smiling sarcastically. 

On asking what makes him laugh at our problems, he turned to me and said, “People are losing their lives every day because of poverty, starvation, terror attacks, wars, persecution. Have you ever thought of doing something towards solving the global problems?” 

I, as always, in a denial replied, “But how can I think of helping others until I have dealt with my own problems? I can’t function. I’ve too much to worry about.” 

A little agitated now, he stated, “When you’ll stop concentrating at your own problems and focus on the global problems you’ll realise how bigger they are than yours”

There was long pause of silence! (The one expected after the moral of the story is revealed)

The second incident was a Eureka moment in itself.  

I wanted something and was inquisitively praying for a miracle. 

My impatience led me to drop a word on an online portal that calls for prayer requests. 

As I was hunting for some fancy words to convey the sincerity of the request, my eyes fell on other people’s posts. 

On reading, one request after the other, I felt compassionate. The agony and pain of others took over my blown-out-of-proportion problems. 

A lady was expecting reconciliation with her husband.

A family was about to get on the streets. 

A man under debt was fighting back suicidal thoughts.
A mother had lost her only son to accident. 

A sister was hoping her brother to get healed of cancer. 

After a few minutes I found myself on the knees and instead of putting up my request I ended up praying for others. 

Some verses from the Scripture that talk about the Power of Prayer: 

“Do not worry about anything. Instead pray about everything.” Philippians 4:6 

 Praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication.” Ephesians 6:18

Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.” Colossians 4:2

“Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer” Romans 12:12

“The end of all things is near. Therefore be alert and of sober mind so that you may pray.” 1 Peter 4:7

“Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.” Hebrew 4:16

Let’s continue in faith through our prayers.









No comments:

Post a Comment